Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Savile Row protest and our first front page!

Well, yesterday was quite eventful.


As you may have read, The Chap magazine staged a protest yesterday on Savile Row, decrying the plans for an abercrombie kids [sic] outlet to open on this historic street.


  
After a 3 1/2 hour journey in Betsy, we finally got to the Row to uproarious cheers from the assembled crowd.  I was impressed with the turn out, all dressed in their finest, who were gathered outside No. 3.

Betsy made a subtle entrance as always


What surprised me most was the amount of press already gathered.  We spoke to people from various agencies, including The Times and the Express but there were numerous other photographers dotted about (only one Vintage News crew of course!)


As ever, we conducted a few interviews.  I spoke to Mr B, who led everyone in a rousing chorus of 'Give Three-Piece a Chance' once we were outside Abercrombie & Fitch's Burlington Gardens address.


Kieren interviewed Gustav Temple, the Editor of the Chap and the mastermind behind the protest.


I then interviewed Michael 'Atters' Attree, a most ahem, enlightening experience!  It mostly consisted of Atters telling me how lovely I smelt - but I think we managed to get a few sensible answers!

I think we can see why
I call it my 'Mary Poppins coat'

We were told by one of our contacts in the media (ooh, doesn't that sound fancy?) that we were on the front page of the Evening Standard.  Alas, as we are based in Brighton, we have yet to get our hands on a copy.  Anyone have a spare from 23rd April?  Here's a link to the article anyway.  There are pictures of us here and here as well.

Anyway, here are lots of lovely pictures from the action of the day.





 
 
    
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 



This is why we felt it necessary to protest

No comments:

Post a Comment